Tax rates are configured in Settings. Tabs in Tax Settings correspond to different types of taxes: General, Per Unit, and Pre & Post. On each tab, tax rates are defined in Groups. Tax Groups are labeled alphabetically (i.e. Tax Group E, Tax Group F) but can be assigned custom labels as well.
Per Unit Taxes are set up on the Per Unit tab. Tax Groups E, F and G on the Per Unit tab are designated for liquor, tobacco, and sweet beverage taxes. These tax groups can be assigned a “per unit” cost.
- From Home, tap Settings.
- Choose Taxes.
- Select the Per Unit tab.
- Choose to fill in Group E, F, or G. We suggest filling in the first available Tax Group. For example, fill in Tax Group E before Tax Group F.
- Customize Tax Group names by clicking on a generic label name and typing in a name. For example, change “Tax Group E” to “Sin Tax”.
- Select a unit type from Unit, Gallon, Liter.
- Customize the names of individual taxes by clicking on a generic label name and typing in a name. For example, change “Tax E1” to “Beer Tax”. Change “Tax E2” to “Liquor Tax”.
- Fill in relevant tax rates.
- Additional Tax Groups can be created by filling in tax rates for each group (i.e. Group F, Group G.)
- Choose Save.
- Note: One or multiple Tax Groups can be created. For example, taxes applied to soda may be different than taxes applied to beer. In this case, you would create Group E: “Tax rates for soda” and Group F: “Tax rates for beer”.
- Unit, Gallon, and Liter: Select either Unit, Gallon or Liter to describe the measurement of the item you are taxing. For example, a Beer Tax might be $.18 per Gallon. Group E = “State Liquor Tax”; Tax E1 = “Beer Tax”; Value = 0.18. Select the “Gallon” checkbox.
- Show on receipt: Select to display the tax details on customer receipt.
- Note: [Examples below are instructional only and should not be used as tax advice. Consult with your state’s department of revenue and/or your knowledgeable sales tax accountant to determine how to apply taxes in your location.
- Sin Tax in Cuyahoga County, OH liquor store: $.045/pack cigarettes, $.015/12-oz bottle of beer (equivalent to $.580/gal), $.6/750-ml bottle of wine, $.32/gal mixed beverages, $.24/gal hard cider, $3/gal hard liquor.
- Tax on sweet beverages in Philadelphia, PA: $.015/ounce sweet beverages (equivalent to $1.92/gal)