Tax rates are configured under the Settings module. Tabs in the Tax Settings submodule correspond to different types of taxes: General, Per Unit, and Pre & Post. On each tab, tax rates are defined in Groups. Tax Groups are labeled alphabetically (i.e., Tax Group E, Tax Group F), but can be assigned custom labels too.
Per Unit taxes are set up on the Per Unit tab. Tax Groups E, F and G on the Per Unit tab are designated for liquor, tobacco, and sweet beverage taxes. These tax groups can be assigned a “per unit” cost.
- From Home, navigate to Settings > Tax Group Settings.
- Tap the Per Unit tab.
- Select Group E, F, or G. We suggest selecting the first available Tax Group. For example, select Tax Group E before Tax Group F.
- Customize Tax Group names by clicking on a generic label name and typing in a name. For example, change Tax Group E to Sin Tax.
- Select a unit type from Unit, Gallon, Liter.
- Customize the names of individual taxes by clicking on a generic label name and entering a name. For example, change “Tax E1” to “Beer Tax.” Change “Tax E2” to “Liquor Tax”
- Enter relevant tax rates.
- Create additional Tax Groups by entering tax rates for each group (i.e. Group F, Group G).
- Tap Save.
- Note: One or multiple Tax Groups can be created. For example, taxes applied to soda may be different than taxes applied to beer. In this case, create Group E: “Tax rates for soda” and Group F: “Tax rates for beer.”
- Unit, Gallon, and Liter: Select either Unit, Gallon or Liter to describe the measurement of the item you are taxing. For example, a Beer Tax might be $0.18 per gallon. Group E = “State Liquor Tax;” Tax E1 = “Beer Tax;” Value = 0.18. Select the Gallon checkbox.
- Show On Receipt: Select to display the tax details on customer receipt.
- Note: Examples below are instructional only and should not be used as tax advice. Consult with your state’s department of revenue and/or your knowledgeable sales tax accountant to determine how to apply taxes in your location.
- Sin Tax in Cuyahoga County, OH liquor store: $0.045 per pack of cigarettes, $0.015 per 12 oz bottle of beer (equivalent to $0.580/gal), $0.60 per 750 mL bottle of wine, $0.32 per gallong mixed beverages, $0.24 per gallon hard cider, $3 per gallon hard liquor
- Tax on sweet beverages in Philadelphia, PA: $0.015 per Oz for sweet beverages (equivalent to $1.92 per gallon)
How can we improve this information?
Registered internal users can comment. Merchants, have a suggestion? Tell us more.